Find out more about our Academic Medical Centre and efforts in Academic Medicine
Find out more about what JOAM do to support AM initiatives.
Academic Medicine Executive Committee (AM EXCO) and ACP Organisation Charts
Guidelines, forms, and templates for Academic Medicine.
1. Pull off pen cap
3. Pull paper tab from new disposable needle NovoFine® or NovoTwist® disposable injection needles up to a length of 8 mm and as thin as 32G (0.25/0.23 mm) and screw needle tightly onto pen.
4. Pull off outer and inner needle caps- discard inner cap, but save outer cap for needle disposal. Use a new needle each time you inject. Be careful not to bend or damage the needle.
5. Always check flow of liraglutide before first injecting with a new pen.
a) Turn dose selector until the flow-check symbol aligns with the pointer.
b) Hold the pen with the needle pointing up. Tap the cartridge gently with your finger a few times, so any air bubble will rise to the top of the cartridge.
Keeping the needle pointing up, press dose button until 0mg aligns with the pointer and a drop of liraglutide should appear at the needle tip. If not, repeat steps 5a)-b) up to four times. If there is still no drop of liraglutide, change the needle and repeat steps 5a)-b) once. If a drop of liraglutide still does not appear, do not use the pen as this indicates it is defective and you must use a new one.
NOTE: If you drop your pen against a hard surface or suspect something is wrong with it, you have to put on a new disposable needle and check the flow before you inject.
Dialing your dose
1. Before selecting your dose, always check 0mg aligns with pointer.
2. Turn dose selector until dose is exactly aligned with pointer- depending on your healthcare provider’s recommendations, select 0.6mg, 1.2mg or 1.8mg. If the dose selector stops before you reach your dose, there is not enough liraglutide left for a full dose. Turn the dose selector backwards until an available dose lines up with the pointer and be careful not to press the dose button, as liraglutide may come out. Inject the available dose and then prepare a new pen to inject the remaining amount required to complete your dose. Otherwise, you can choose to inject the full dose with a new pen.
Note: Do not use the cartridge scale to measure how much liraglutide to inject as it is not accurate enough.
Injecting your dose
1. Insert needle either into your abdomen, thigh or upper arm.
2. Press the dose button until 0mg aligns with the pointer- be careful not to touch the display or press the dose selector sideways when you inject.
3. Keep dose button pressed down and leave the needle under the skin for at least 6 seconds to ensure you get your full dose.
Updated on Friday, May 31, 2019
This article is contributed by Department of Pharmacy National Heart Centre Singapore, PSS National Medication Information Workgroup